LAST WEEK OF THE FIRST TRIMESTER!
Congratulations. We have nearly completed our first trimester of Eighth Grade Science! Here is the plan for the last few days. Please note that all missing assignments must be turned in this week and that IRP Proposal corrections are due on Monday, November 27th.
I wish you all a safe and happy holiday!
Monday, November 27th
**All IRP Proposal Corrections are due!**
1. Final preparations of Penguin Dwellings (~15 minutes)
2. Testing Penguins under the lamps for 30 minutes
3. Plan for improvements to design
(Note: Students will have time to work on the review sheet on Monday and Tuesday during class while they are waiting for 30 minutes during the device testing.)
Tuesday, November 28th
1. Rebuilding time (~20 minutes)
2. Retesting time (~30 minutes)
HW = Finish your review sheet if you don't get it done in class)
Wednesday, November 29th
1. Save the Penguins Wrap Up
2. Go over Review Sheet
Thursday, November 30th
1. THERMAL ENERGY QUIZ
Friday, December 1st (shortened class periods - half day)
1. End of trimester reflection and wrap up
Happy Thanksgiving Week! I wish you all a safe and happy holiday!
Monday, November 20
1. Building Day! Students will build a device to minimize thermal energy transfer between the environment and their ice cube penguin. The constraints include a limited budget, limited build time, and limited size.
Tuesday, November 21
1. Testing Day - Students will measure the mass of their penguins, place them inside their device, and place them under a lamp for 20 minutes. When time is up, they will measure the mass again and calculate the percentage of mass lost.
2. During the 20 minute waiting period, students will complete the vocabulary portion of their knowledge probe.
Monday, November 13th
1. Continue data collection for the Thermal Energy Investigation
2. Complete data analysis
HW = finish the data analysis section if you don't get it done in class.
Tuesday, November 14th
1. Evaluation Mini-Lesson
2. Complete Explanation and Evaluation sections
HW = finish any portions of the investigation packet that are not done yet.
Wednesday, November 15th
1. Present and Defend
2. Save the Penguins Project Introduction
Thermal Energy Investigation Packet is due today. The Evaluation section is graded for understanding.
Thursday, November 16th
1. Save the Penguins KP
2. Soda Can Dilemma
Friday, November 17th
1. Building - Phase 1
Monday, November 6
1. Finish T-4ing the Thermal Energy KP article and answer the questions in the Thermal Energy Investigation KP packet.
2. Thermal Energy Simulation (see google classroom for link)
Tuesday, November 7
1. Complete Thermal Energy Simulation
Wednesday, November 8 (shortened class period)
1. Plan Investigation (write Question, KP Summary, Prediction, Investigation Plan)
Thursday, November 9
1. Data Collection
2. Data Analysis as time allows
Friday, November 10
1. Complete Data Analysis, Explanation, and Evaluation
HW = Finish the Thermal Energy Investigation packet for homework if you don't get it done in class.
Is this page just for parents and guardians?
No! This blog is for anyone who wants to know what is going on in our class (that should include students too!). Just because the language is written with parents/guardians in mind, that doesn't mean that students won't benefit from checking in with this blog. It just means that parents don't have to wade through all of the resources posted under the instructional unit section of this site. Likewise, that section of the website isn't meant to be a "parent-free" zone. Parents/guardians can use the resources posted there to help their student or just to stay in touch with what's going on in the classroom.