We fell a little bit behind this week because students needed a few more minutes in the computer lab for the Energy Skate Park activity and some extra time practice with the potential and kinetic energy calculations. We had a great time collecting data today though! Students did an excellent job getting everything done in a short amount of time. I was very impressed with how well so many of the groups worked together today.
Monday, October 30th
1. Potential and Kinetic Energy Calculations Warm Up
2. Complete Roller Coaster Investigation Packet and turn it in. (You may turn it in on Monday if you don't finish during class.)
Tuesday, October 31st
1. ~30 of work time on Roller Coaster Investigation
2. Potential and Kinetic Energy Quiz Review
HW = Finish the Roller Coaster Investigation (the whole packet) if you don't get it done in class.
Wednesday, November 1st
1. Potential and Kinetic Energy Quiz Review
Thursday, November 2nd
1. Potential and Kinetic Energy Quiz
2. Thermal Energy Misconceptions Pretest
3. Thermal Energy Knowledge Probe (videos + reading are available in google classroom)
Friday, November 3rd
1. Complete Thermal Energy Knowledge Probe
2. Plan Thermal Energy Investigation*
Monday, October 23
**IRP Proposal is due today! Make sure that you click "Turn In" in Google Classroom.
1. Complete Energy Skate Park Simulation
HW = Finish Extension Questions if you don't get them done in class. (Note: the Exploration section after Part 3 is optional)
Tuesday, October 24
1. Energy Practice Problems
HW = Finish the last page of the Practice Problems if you don't get done in class.
Wednesday, October 25
1. Roller Coaster Investigation Packet
Thursday, October 26
1. Roller Coaster Investigation Data Collection Day
2. Begin work on Data Analysis if you finish collecting data early.
Friday, October 27
1. Complete Roller Coaster Investigation Packet and turn it in. (You may turn it in on Monday if you don't finish during class.)
HW = Finish the Roller Coaster Investigation Packet if you don't get it done during class.
Reminder: Parent-Teacher Conferences are this week Tuesday and Thursday.
Plans for the week:
Monday, October 16
*Students must have their Explanation section of the Pendulum Investigation done at the beginning of class. They will need it to participate in Peer Review activity for the day. Students will receive a completion grade for having it done on time.
1. Complete Peer Review of Pendulum Investigation Explanations
2. Finish the Evaluation and Habits of Minds sections of the packet.
3. Begin Present and Defend of Pendulum Investigation
HW= IRP Proposals must be ready to share in class tomorrow. (The final draft of the IRP Proposal is due on Monday, October 23rd.)
Tuesday, October 17
*Today we are taking a break from the Pendulum Investigation to revisit our IRP Proposals.
1. Peer Review #2 of IRP Proposal. Students will score the proposals of two of their classmates and their proposal will be scored by two others using the same rubric that I will use to eventually grade their papers. They will have time in class to make corrections based on the feedback that they receive from their peers.
Wednesday, October 18
1. Independent work time (~30 minutes) - Students may work on their IRP Proposals or their Pendulum Investigation Explanations or both.
2. Continue Present and Defend for Pendulum Investigation
Thursday, October 19
1. Pendulum Investigation Wrap Up/Exit Ticket.
2. Begin Roller Coaster Investigation Knowledge Probe (Kinetic and Potential Energy Practice Problems)
*P&D Notes are due by the end of class.
Friday, October 20
1. Continue Roller Coaster Investigation Knowledge Probe (Energy Skate Park)
HW = Complete Practice Problems and Energy Skate Park if not done in class.
**Reminder: Next week Tuesday (10/17), we will complete Peer Review #2 of your IRP Proposal during class. You will need your second rough draft in class on Tuesday so that it can be scored with a rubric by two of your classmates. Use the feedback that you got from your peers during Peer Review #1 last week to help you polish your rough draft. The final draft of your Proposal is due on Monday, October 23rd. (You may submit your final draft early if you wish.)
Monday, October 9
1. Pendulum Investigation continued...
HW = Prepare for variables quiz!
Tuesday, October 10
1. Variables Quiz
2. Pendulum Investigation Data Collection Day
3. If you finish data collection early, you can begin working on your data analysis.
Wednesday, October 11 (early release day, shortened classes)
1. Explanation Mini Lesson
Thursday, October 12
1. Complete the rest of the Pendulum Lab Investigation Packet
HW = Finish any parts of the packet that you don't get done in class.
Friday, October 13
1. Peer Editing and Revision of Pendulum Lab Investigation
2. Prepare for Present and Defend
Is this page just for parents and guardians?
No! This blog is for anyone who wants to know what is going on in our class (that should include students too!). Just because the language is written with parents/guardians in mind, that doesn't mean that students won't benefit from checking in with this blog. It just means that parents don't have to wade through all of the resources posted under the instructional unit section of this site. Likewise, that section of the website isn't meant to be a "parent-free" zone. Parents/guardians can use the resources posted there to help their student or just to stay in touch with what's going on in the classroom.